Lagos, Nigeria - For the benefit of our customers, the press, and members of the general public, we wish to state the following, with regard to the above-mentioned incident:
• As an institution with a proven track record of responsible corporate citizenship, we take our civic obligations seriously.
• Occasionally, as in this case, we may disagree with state entities over the objectivity of tax assessments carried out relating to our business. These are typically resolved through rigorous professional reviews and audits, and sometimes through legal channels.
• We are therefore disappointed that in this instance, the Kogi State Internal Revenue Service has chosen to escalate the issue rather than work through a professional review process to seek a prudent resolution.
• We are directing our response through the appropriate channels as our objective is to ensure fair and proper assessment, and subsequently, prompt resolution of the situation to reduce the inconvenience to our customers.
• In the meantime, we encourage our esteemed customers who are impacted by this temporary closure to choose our convenient digital channels - UnionOnline, UnionMobile and *826# - which are available 24/7 for their banking needs.